News / Starwood Preferred Guest Announces its 2012 Member Favourites List
27 September 2012
SPG Awards Top Resorts in Nine Categories to be Featured on Resorts Website and SPG’s New Pinterest Page
Stamford, CT – Starwood Hotels & Resorts and its award-winning Starwood Preferred Guest® (SPG) programme announced the winners of the 2012 Member Favourites List which can be seen on spg.com/resorts and SPG’s new Pinterest page: pinterest.com/SPGLife. Selected by members, SPG’s second annual survey identifies over 70 of the top Starwood resorts across nine categories. Twenty six made the list for the first time including new resorts such as The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi, The Westin Resort & Spa in Playa Conchal, Costa Rica and The Naka Island, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket.
SPG’s well-travelled members were invited to identify their favourite resorts, the top 12 of which were listed across the following nine categories: Best Beach Resort, Most Romantic Retreat, Best Exotic Escape, Best Family Experience, Best Golf Getaway, Best Island Paradise, Best Spa Indulgence, Best Winter Adventure and Best Small Wonder.
Among the most popular resorts selected by members for 2012 are:
- Mystique, a Luxury Collection hotel in Santorini. Greece received double honours as Most Romantic Retreat and Best Small Wonder.
- Schloss Fuschl Resort & Spa, a Luxury Collection hotel in Fuschlsee-Salzburg was selected as Best Spa Indulgence and Most Romantic Retreat.
- Le Méridien Nice in France was recognised Most Romantic Retreat.
- Le Méridien Fisherman’s Cove in the Seychelles was listed in the Best Island Paradise and Best Exotic Escape categories.
- Best Exotic Escapes also include Le Méridien N’Fis in Marrakech, Sheraton Jumeirah Beach Resort & Towers in Dubai and The Grand Mauritian Resort & Spa, a Luxury Collection hotel in Mauritius.
- Two Luxury Collection hotels – Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai and Hotel Marques de Riscal, Elciego in Spain – were recognised as being a Best Small Wonder.
- The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi and Turnberry Resort, a Luxury Collection hotel in Scotland were ranked in the Best Golf Getaway category.
- Selected as Best Winter Adventure are Sheraton Davos Hotel Waldhuus in Switzerland and Sheraton Santa Maria de El Paular in Spain.
- The Romanos, a Luxury Collection hotel and The Westin Resort in Costa Navarino, Greece were voted Best Beach Resort and Best Family Experience respectively.
“The 2012 SPG Member Favourites List represents more luxury in more destinations this year than ever before,” said Chris Holdren, Senior Vice President of Starwood Preferred Guest. “These hotels and resorts selected by our members are deeply honoured to be recognized with this distinction.”
To celebrate the launch of the Member Favourites List, SPG has established its presence on Pinterest, with its first boards featuring each of the nine resort categories. Travel aficionados can look to the page for photos of their favourite Starwood hotels and resorts for travel inspiration from around the world and re-pin to share with their followers. The page will allow “Pinners” to engage with SPG and share ideas and tips with other travelers.
As Starwood’s global presence increases, so does members’ recognition of those global resorts. Recently opened global resorts which were included in the impressive round-up include:
- The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi
- The Naka Island, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket
- The Sheraton Guangzhou Huadu Resort in China
- Villarrica Park Lake Hotel & Spa, a Luxury Collection Resort, Chile
- The St. Regis Lhasa Resort, Tibet
About Starwood Preferred Guest
The SPG program’s breakthrough policy of No Blackout Dates at the world’s most sought after collection of hotels reinvented the hospitality loyalty program when it launched in 1999. By creating a program centred on its members, SPG has developed the most passionate and knowledgeable membership base in the hotel loyalty space. Through its use of new technologies and innovative channels such as SPG.com, SPG.com/stayconnected, SPG.com/flights and others, SPG continues to innovate and lead the industry. By offering No Blackouts on standard rooms at 1,090 hotels and resorts in nearly 100 countries, No Blackouts on hundreds of airlines, the introduction of Your24 and SPG Lifetime, and unparalleled experiences available through SPG Moments at spg.com/moments, the program has proven to be a big draw for the world’s most frequent travellers, and a significant competitive advantage for Starwood. For more information about Starwood Preferred Guest please visit SPG.com.
About Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world with 1,103 properties in nearly 100 countries and 154,000 employees at its owned and managed properties. Starwood is a fully integrated owner, operator and franchisor of hotels, resorts and residences with the following internationally renowned brands: St. Regis®, The Luxury Collection®, W®, Westin®, Le Méridien®, Sheraton®, Four Points® by Sheraton, Aloft®, and ElementSM. The Company boasts one of the industry’s leading loyalty programs, Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG), allowing members to earn and redeem points for room stays, room upgrades and flights, with no blackout dates. Starwood also owns Starwood Vacation Ownership, Inc., a premier provider of world-class vacation experiences through villa-style resorts and privileged access to Starwood brands. For more information, please visit www.starwoodhotels.com.